Carrie Standing Rule
To encourage travel and high caliber competition for youth racing in Southern California for Optimist Dinghies.
Sponsor and Rules
- The Series is open to junior sailors who do not reach the age of 15 years of age, as of December 31. To be eligible for the SCYYRA Carrie Series Perpetual Trophy participants must be members of a current SCYYRA organization.
- Carrie participants must be USODA members in good standing.
- A participant must enter each separate regatta in the Series with the individual host club.
- To enter the series, a participant must register online at www.scyyra.org/carrie. A participant may enter the Series at the first or second scheduled Regatta but no later than the start of the first race of the last day of the second Regatta. Participants may enter any Regatta after the first two but will not be scored for the Series.
- All sail number changes at any time during the series must be reported to the Carrie Series Chairman.
The series will consist of seven schedule regattas when possible during the school year.
- The Carrie Series perpetual trophy shall be awarded at the end of the last event of the series to the junior who has the lowest cumulative point score for the scheduled regattas using the scoring system explained below.
- Take home trophies shall be awarded to the top number of finishers in the series.
- The perpetual trophy shall be kept for that year in the Yacht Club of the winning skipper. If the club does not have adequate facilities to retain the trophy, it shall then reside at a place determined by the SCYYRA Board of Directors.
- Carrie Series scoring shall be based on the official results of each race tabulated only against other Carrie Series entrants.
- Carrie Series scoring shall be in accordance with the US Sailing Appendix A9.
- The Low Point Scoring System, rule A2, will apply with 20 or more races scheduled. A “Did Not Compete” (DNC) is defined as not registering for a Regatta and shall be scored the number of entries in the Series plus one. A “Did Not Finish” (DNF), “Disqualified” (DSQ) and “Did Not Start” (DNS) will be based on the total number of Series starters in each individual Regatta.
- Ties will be broken using US SAILING Appendix A. If a tie still exists, the winner shall be the yacht ahead in the final race that the two participating yachts both started.
- Throw out races will be incorporated into the Series scoring with the following formulas:
- If 11-15 races are completed, there will be 1 throw out
- If 16-20 races are completed, there will be 2 throw outs
- If 21-25 races are completed, there will be 3 throw outs
- If 25-30 races are completed, there will be 4 throw outs
- If 31-35 races are completed, there will be 5 throw outs
- If 36 or more races are completed, there will be 6 throw outs
Modified 11 September 2012