SCYYRA is an organization formed in October 1977, under Southern California Yachting Association (SCYA), for the purpose of dedicating itself to the improvement of sailing skills among youth racing sailors in Southern California.
Association goals are accomplished by:
- Publishing a master calendar of youth sailing events.
- Setting up sailing instructor seminars.
- Coordinating and sponsoring One Design seminars.
- Stressing the importance of participation in US Sailing Junior Championships and communicating the methods to accomplish this.
- Sponsoring eight regatta series of four or more races each throughout the year: the North Perpetual Trophy for Naples Sabots; the Ullman Perpetual Trophy for Lasers; the Frost Perpetual Trophy for Laser Radials; the Perry Perpetual Trophy for C420’s; the Dick Sweet Team Race for Naples Sabots; the Shadden Perpetual Trophy for CFJ’s; the Hamlin Perpetual Trophy for 29ers, and the SoCal Series for the Optis.
- Awarding the Stewart Carpenter Memorial Trophy for the top boy-girl CFJ finisher at the Southern California Junior Olympic Regatta.
- Disseminating information regarding youth activities through SCYYRA representatives at Member Yacht Clubs.
- Acting as an “ombudsman” for junior skippers and their One Design racing associations.
- Coordination of youth activities through SCYA, US Sailing and CISA.
- Acting as a contact with US Sailing Youth Committees.
- Creating a long range planning committee to revise and further the association goals.